Post Traumatic Growth 101

From traumatic beginings to "normal life", choosing to grow and wanting to empower others. This is my story.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Big Bad Bus

It's 4pm - wait, it's 4pm! I've got to go get Sam from the bus! The first wave of panic crashes against me - will I have time to get Mack from the babysitter and be at the bus stop? I better hurry! Rush rush rush to find my coat, put on my coat, find my shoes, put on my shoes.

I'm sprinting up the street - what if her bus comes early? I turn the corner and go three houses down to pick up Mack. They're outside waiting for me, phew.

4:06 and Mack and I are at the bus stop. Phew, the bus is expected at 4:21pm. I made it! Mack and I start singing/playing/naming the colours on the cars.

Another wave of panic hits me - I haven't checked my watch, what time is it, it feels like we've been here forever, where is she?

4:11pm. Come on self....relax. She's been going to school for almost two months now. She will be here.

4:16pm I spot it, the bus. "Look Mack, Sissy's bus!" We both get up from the ground where we've been cuddling while watching all the leaves blow down the streets - it's a windy day! The bus gets closer, I'm getting anxious to see her.

The bus stops at the stop sign in front of us and the male driver waves dissmissivly at me and drives off.

Wait, what? There's never been another bus coming from that same direction as Sam's bus before. Wait, Kathy said the bus driver was male yesterday - Sam has a new driver. OMG...that bus didn't know who I was and drove off with my kid! FULL BLOWN PANIC, why didn't I bring my cell phone? That bus driver is new and he didn't know me and now my kid is in the bus driving away from me! She's only 4! She can't handle this! I can't move from this bus stop, what if it wasn't her bus, no one will be here! But I have to call the bus company and find out of she was on that bus!

4:17 ok...technically the bus isn't late, so I can't move. Maybe the bus driver will remember Sam is on the bus and turn around. I can't wait to see this guy and freak on him! I picture the conversation "This is our first year with a child on the bus. She's freakin' 4 years old, do you know what this has done to me? How could you forget to stop! Why didn't you open the bus door and ask? Don't know you that was a scheduled stop?" I'm pacing now, barely taking my eyes off the direction her bus should come in. I'm getting angry at myself for not bringing my cell phone!

I feel this way every time I pick her up - I should have brought my friggen cell phone. At least today I have a watch. I've learned that lesson.

4:20pm she's still NOT technicall late, but I just KNOW she was on that bus. I'm really in a panic now. This happens to all parents right? She'll be fine right? I smile at Mack as if to say "We're Ok!" but inside I'm ready to cry.

WHERE'S MY BABY?!?!

I don't know why we were excited for this school thing, she's 4 years old! She's too young to take a bus. She can't handle this! What are we going to do? 5 more minutes and I have to leave. No I can't...I have to wait until 15 minutes after the scheduled time - just incase. But I KNOW she was on that bus that passed by! Where's Corey? Isn't he panicking yet? We've been gone so long! Isn't he wondering where we are? Why isn't he coming to the stop? Then he could call the bus company. We need to radio that bus and get them to

"Mommy! Sissy's Bus!" 4:22pm

A Bus! It's coming from the direction Sam's bus comes from! The tears of joy are welling up in my throat. The bus turns it's stop signals on 15 feet away from where we are as it approaches. The wave of relief is almost powerful. The bus stops and the door opens. It IS a male bus driver!

"Sam!" I practically scream when I finally see my baby.

"She was complaining she was hot" says the amused bus driver.

I grab my kid off the bus and she walks towards home, not a care in the world, happily talking about another "awesome" day of Junior Kindergarten.

I'm just thankful I don't have to do this everyday :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter