Post Traumatic Growth 101

From traumatic beginings to "normal life", choosing to grow and wanting to empower others. This is my story.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Better Weekend Than I Thought

Well..it was supposed to be just a normal long weekend but it turned into the weekend...

I GOT ENGAGED!!!!

Yep, Corey popped the question yesterday, our two year anniversary. It was totally out of left field, I mean I was in the middle of doing laundry, he was watching TV. He asked me into our room in the basement, closed the door behind him...I thought he wanted, well you know. He got down on one knee, gave the speech, asked if I would marry him and then produced the ring! Of course I said yes :) I was so shocked.

It's not a big secret but I've been married before. I had a brief "starter marriage". Met the guy VERY young (17). Had just gotten out on my own, had family issues, big ideas about life. We were together like 7 1/2 years before he proposed and by then I "couldn't imagine my life without him". Reality was we lived separate lives from eachother but clung to the bond we shared. We were married less than 10 months when I broke it off. Truth is, I had found real love and I couldn't give it up to work on a marriage I didn't even believe in anymore. I never should have gotten married, I should have listened to my instincts instead of my head. But I learned many many many lessons and am so thankful for what I have with Corey now. It's what I dreamed of, what I convinced myself didn't really exist outside of TV land or romantic novels. It sounds so corny but now when I read these novels or watch these shows I think "I know exactly how they feel". The passion, the happiness, the intimacy.

So today, with my big gorgeous white-gold heart shaped diamond rock on my pinky finger, I feel so incredibly lucky. My past is my past, my mistake was just that, a mistake. I wouldn't be where I am today had I not lived my life the way I did.

Oh and yes, I did say my ring is on my pinky finger. I'm 8 months pregnant! This baby ain't getting over the knuckle of my ring finger. It's rather depressing.

We haven't really talked wedding yet, figure we'll get the baby out first. Ideally I'd like to get married next spring somewhere tropical with only a very small few guests, if any. I've done the wedding "show" and don't think I have the strength to go through that again. Corey doesn't like being the centre of attention in situations like that so I think he'll totally go for the tropical idea. His mom has already said "well when you go away to get married I'm watching the baby!". In fact, I think that was the first thing she said! Any excuse to babysit she's all over. We've already been told we have to go to Hamilton in September to represent the family while she stays home with the baby.

The other highlights of our long weekend pale in comparison. Got a Costco membership, cleaned the babies room, set up the crib, shopped. Nothing too exciting. I still haven't uploaded my NY pictures, in fact I haven't even looked at them on a computer yet. My bad. I should also take some pictures of the nursery, it's adorable! The crib is gorgeous too.


For My Darling Baby Girl: Your Daddy asked me to marry him this weekend. It was very sweet, very US. I'm a lucky woman. One of my biggest dreams for you is that you'll feel as loved and as lucky as I do when you find that special someone.

3 Comments:

Blogger W&MGrad said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! CONGRATULATONS!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE NOT POSTED THE NEWS TO CHATTY CHICKS YET! EEK, I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

J

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS SARAH! I think a tropical wedding sounds great. If I could do it all again, I would do the same thing

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter