Post Traumatic Growth 101

From traumatic beginings to "normal life", choosing to grow and wanting to empower others. This is my story.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pregnancy Brain

I had too much to write yesterday and blogger wasn't workin for me....Now I can't remember what I wanted to write. I blame pregnancy brain. I do have it you know. I feel like a stoner sometimes. Things like work phone numbers, numbers that I've been using for YEARS, gone. The people around me have starting cashing in on my little "issue" as well. They've all got "pregnancy brain" all of a sudden. It must be contagious.

Oo! I just remembered what I wanted to write about! Yesterday was Daniel's 14th birthday. I can't believe my baby brother is FOURTEEN. I remember the day he was born, my mom woke me up at 2am. I was 13, almost 14 at the time. I had expressed interest in helping her delivery the baby and she had agreed to let me help. At the time I wanted to be a doctor :P So at 2am on a Friday night she's telling me that it's time and I need to get up. I told her I was asleep and that I couldn't wake up. She knew that I wouldn't want to miss it and she persisted! I did wake up eventually and my mom was sitting at the kitchen table having a coffee or something. I was in panic mode of course, LET'S GO! She told me we had plenty of time. Then her water broke, so we called her friend who was driving us to the hospital and off we went. They checked her in and things were pretty uneventful. My mom walked up and down the hall to help deal with the contractions. They started getting pretty intense and she asked for an epidural. The nurses told her the anesthesiologist wasn't there and that she couldn't get one! My mother turned to me and asked me to get her stuff, we were taking a taxi to another hospital. No way mom! I told her we were staying right there. I think the nurses thought that was pretty amusing. Things moved along and soon enough she was fully dilated and ready to push. I let her squeeze my arm and fed her ice chips. They scared us a bit when Daniel's heartbeat dropped by mentioning the possibility of the cord being around his neck but he came out at 7:36am perfectly healthy. I cried my eyes out. The nurses and doctor made me feel like a million bucks by telling me I was a great coach and helper. They said I'd make a great doctor and that I was very mature. I just stood there staring at my little baby brother, listening to him cry.

Daniel and I have been close ever since. I remember taking him to visit friends at their school when he was like 2 months old. I brought pictures into school and beamed with pride. I even took turns feeding him for my mom (he was bottle fed), waking up at all hours. I was the first person he ever threw up on.

I moved to Toronto when he was about 5 or 6 and shortly after he went to go live with his father. It became my responsibility to keep in touch with him. His father never initiated contact with me and never encouraged Daniel to keep in touch. There have been issues between his father and I over the years. This man doesn't have much of a filter when it comes to his mouth. He also uses drugs regularly and lives a pretty shaddy life. I work around it though and haven't missed a single birthday or Christmas present. Daniel has also been down to Toronto every single year for at least a week to spend time with me. When he was younger I'd sometimes drive down to Montreal and back with him in one day. Now that he's older I send him plane and train tickets. I always want him to know that I'm there for him, no matter what.

Talked to him last night to say Happy Birthday. He had just returned from a movie and was in a great mood. He loves Corey I tell ya. They talked and talked and talked. Corey knows all the good "boy questions" to ask. He had given me his new address last week and gave me the wrong street number so he was a bit upset about his package but I called Canada Post and he should be able to go get it at the post office tonight. We got him a new spring jacket and a $50 gift certificate for an X-box game. I also sent him the 3D pictures of Samantha and some belly shots of me. For Christmas we sent him a calendar with pictures of him and us in it and he's mentioned it both times we've called this week so I better remember to send him another one next year :)

Last night we went for our hospital pre-registration and tour. OMG I almost started crying I was just so overwhelmed. Seeing the birthing room, the little "crib" she'll be staying it..it was scary. When they were making my file they asked if I had ever been to the hospital and I said no but I had been born there. Well they looked me up and I was actually in the system from the birth! I have the same hospital number as I had then and it was kinda neat thinking about how Corey and I had both been in those same rooms when we were born. But yea, SCARY. Right now the unknown is freaking me out. I can't wait to get to that "I just want to get her out" stage.

Not much went on this weekend. Did some shopping, hung out and enjoyed the nice weather. We got the backyard all set up and organized so we can sit out there on the patio sets. Corey and I love hanging out playing crib, eating and drinking. I won't be participating in the drinking this year *cry*. I'll have to start experimenting with "mocktails".

For My Darling Baby Girl: We saw where you're going to be born yesterday and it really hit me, we're having a baby. They showed us the little sleep thing you wear, the bracelet, the crib thing....We're really doing this. We're really having you! In about 2 months you're going to want to come out and join us and my whole world is going to change forever. I can't even begin to explain to you how much just writing that freaks me out. I love your Daddy so much and we're going to do this. We're going to have you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter